Nowadays, many people shampoo quite often, but they still suffer from the itchy scalp. It is a condition of the scalp with signs of itchy irritation and scalp; moreover, the persistent itching may be accompanied by dandruff, hair loss, and even scalp hair loss.
Itchy scalp does not cause any danger to the body; nevertheless, it always causes lots of annoyances in life. It affects not only your quality of life but also your psychology. In other words, it can make you feel uncomfortable, sleepless, distracted at work and cause a sense of loss of confidence in communication.
So, what causes itchy scalp? How should you choose the best shampoo for itchy scalp? Are there any home remedies for itchy scalp? The detailed information below will give you the most appropriateanswer.
Causes of itchy scalp you should know
Determining the causes will help the treatment of itchy scalp have the most effectiveness. There are many causes of the itchy scalp as follows.
- Subjective causes
- Dandruff: It is the biggest cause of itchy scalp. Dandruff results from dead cells on the scalp peeling off due to the effect of hormone changes at the age of puberty, fungal infections, damp scalp, sweating or using clotted soaps, fake or unsuitable shampoos, which of all will cause itching.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: It is common for people with oily skin. Besides itchy scalp, they can be red, itchy and scaly on face or chest. One of the causes of this condition is Pityrosporum ovale.
- Inflammation of the hair roots: It is known as hair folliculitis, caused by both allergies and infection. Common symptoms are small red rashes, small scales, or itchy fluid secretion. Not just on the scalp, they can be on face, underarms or genitals.
- Fungus: Trichophyton rubrum is the primary agent causing the itch on the scalp. There are red skin pieces, sometimes with blisters, pimples covered with scales and itching. More seriously, some of the people suffer from hair loss.
- Parasites: Blood parasites such as lice, fleas are one of the causes of itchy scalp.
- Diseases from the inside of the body: Some diseases such as diabetes, liver diseases also cause the itchy scalp.
- Objective causes
- Expose to environmental pollution with fumes, dust and so on
- Do not clean the scalp properly
- Wash your hair with polluted water
- Have allergies to some of the ingredients in the drugs you are using.
How to choose the best shampoo for itchy scalp
For the treatment of itchy scalp, you can overcome this condition by using drugs or treating at medical facilities. The proper treatment of skin diseases will help improve itchy scalp.
Additionally, using shampoos is a convenient solution for scalp itching treatment. However, choosing an appropriate shampoo is not easy. The following are tips on how to choose the best shampoo for itchy scalp you cannot ignore.
As mentioned above, dandruff and fungus mainly result in the itchy scalp. Therefore, choosing shampoos specialized in anti-dandruff and antifungal treatment as a way of removing scalp itching efficiently. You should choose dandruff shampoos containing the following ingredients.
- Zinc Pyrithione
- Selenium Sulfide
All of these can have the anti-dandruff effect, remove their appearance on the scalp and prevent their recurrence. Besides, thanks to anti-fungal properties, it works to treat scalp itchy caused by fungus and reduce hair loss.
You should also choose types of shampoos which complement nutrients such as Amodimethicone, Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) and so on to help your hair recover and stay healthy.
Using herbal shampoos extracted from natural ingredients is also a choice for you. So, you can completely feel secure about their safety. The main ingredients in herbal shampoos usually include betel leaves, Fructus gleditschiae, birch, tea tree, lemon, olive oil, ginger, honey and so forth. They can clean and recover the scalp, treat scalp fungus; hence, diminish scalp itching effectively.
10 amazing home remedies for itchy scalp
In addition to choosing the best shampoo for itchy scalp with ingredients above, you can follow 10 amazing home remedies below to get itch out of your scalp.
- Tomato juice
Tomato juice not only works to beautiful skin but also to treat scalp itching and stimulate hair growth naturally.
- Squeeze the juice from 3 to 4 tomatoes and then pour it into a medium-sized bowl.
- Apply the tomato juice to your scalp and massage it regularly and do this in 4 to 5 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes and cover with a soft cloth or paper towel.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and natural shampoo.
- Lemon juice
Lemon is the best natural ingredient for hair and skin, thanks to the antiseptic properties found in it; thus, you can use to eliminate scalp itching.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 to 3 lemons and put it into a bowl.
- Apply the lemon juice to your scalp, gently massage the scalp.
- Use a soft cloth to cover your hair and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with clean water.
Using lemon generally for 1 or 2 months, you will get rid of this discomfort.
- Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties, which can beautify skin and treat skin diseases including scalp itching.
- Use a knife to separate an aloe vera leaf to get its gel.
- Apply pure aloe vera gel to your scalp and hair and massage it gently.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your hair with lukewarm water.
Do it regularly twice or three times a week, which makes your condition improved markedly.
- Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is one of the essential oils that contain antimicrobial, anti-fungicidal and antibacterial substances; hence, being a perfect choice for itchy scalp treatment.
- Add 10 – 15 drops of tea tree oil with your shampoo to a bowl.
- Use this mixture for your daily shampooing
You will notice the effectiveness of this mixture only after a few times applying it.
- Coconut oil
Monolaurin in coconut oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which are good for scalp and hair roots so that it can stop your situation of scalp itching.
- Add 2 – 3 drops of coconut oil with shampoo to a bowl.
- Apply it to your hair and massage gently for 5 minutes, and then rinse your hair with clean water.
- Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil contains a moisturizer that helps rejuvenate the hair and treat dry, itchy scalp.
- Get a suitable amount of jojoba oil, heat it and then let it cool.
- Apply it to your scalp and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, wash your scalp with your mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Do this once or twice a week for the best results.
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains citric acid that prevents the growth of bacteria, infections, and itching.
- Pour 5ml of apple cider vinegar and 5 ml of water into an aerosol.
- After shampooing, spray the mixture on your scalp and massage softly for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with clean water.
Broccoli contains high antioxidants that help thicken the hair and fight fungal infections including scalp itching.
- Take a handful of broccoli to boil and then grind it.
- Mix it with a few drops of lemon juice and olive oil.
- Apply this mixture to the scalp for a few minutes and then rinse your hair with lukewarm water and your mild shampoo.
Besides refreshing the spirit, washing your hair with thyme help remove the itchy scalp condition.
- Put 4 – 5 dried thyme and 2 cups of water into a pot.
- Boil it for 10 minutes and then allow it to cool.
- Massage it into your scalp and leave it rest.
- After half an hour, wash your hair with clean water.
- Fructus gleditschiae
Fructus gleditschiae is a natural shampoo applied from a long time ago. Thanks to containing posanin making foam, it works to reduce itching and cleanse the scalp so many people still use it as a therapy for hair care and treatment of scalp problems.
- Take 3 – 5 pods of Fructus glenditschiae to bake until they are aromatic.
- Put them into a pot of water, boil for about 5 minutes and then leave it cool.
- Use this water to wash your hair and rinse off with clean water.
If unfortunately meeting the condition of scalp itching, you can refer to the tips on how to choose the best shampoo for itchy scalp or 10 amazing home remedies for the itchy scalp as mentioned above. Hope you to succeed in getting back a healthy scalp and beautiful hair for your own.
Author Bio: JASMINE HE
Being interested in health and beauty as well as having a strong desire for the well-being, I have a broad knowledge of this area after having the patience to learn and experience it for a couple of years. Along with my current education job, I have now been working as a freelance writer on health and beauty.